Rules around the inn of the whitecoats (1) in 1599
The "stately existing inn in Staad"
In 1599, the Cardinal Bishop von Constanz and the Teutonic Knights of Mainau (2) agreed on common sailing regulations for the shipmen at Meersburg and Staad.
It says, among other things, that the ferrymen should absolutely refrain from cursing, swearing, insulting and scolding. When they were lying on the shore with their Segner (3) or their "steed ships", which held a wagon with 4 to 6 horses or 4 to 6 loads (4) of wine, they should no longer, as it had been before , "fill up theirselves with wine in the inns".
They shouldn't rub strangers in the pubs either. Only as far as the two chapels that stood close to the crossing at Meersburg and Staad they were allowed to meet passengers and offer their services.
This was an extract from the Lake Constance Chronicle
1 - The knights of the Teutonic Order wore a white coat with a black cross, hence the "white coats".
2 - Meersburg belonged to the diocese of Constance; The Bishop of Constance was therefore responsible for the Meersburg ferrymen. Staad, however, was part of the Kommende Mainau of the Teutonic Order, so that the Staad ferrymen were subordinate to the Commandery Mainau
3 - Segner are ships with a sail for transporting loads on the lake with a load capacity of 200 to 400 quintals. The largest cargo ships on Lake Constance were the Lädinen, which could load up to 2200 quintals of goods and had a crew of 6-8 people.
4 - Fuder, from Middle High German vouder, wagon load. Volume measure for wine. In Baden 1500 liters, in Württemberg and Austria between 1750 liters and 1950 liters.
The house in the state from 1662. Photo from 1897.